About Me

My photo
loving life. and when times are rough, trying.

Monday, September 20, 2010

A new chapter

Hi everyone. This first post is really long, because it's a pretty detailed posting of my past five days here. I have been really excited to start this blog and really just get my experiences and thoughts into writing. I wrote out the past five days in one sitting, but am posting it in three different installments. I will add pictures a little later.

Day 1
Charles De Gaulle and Chez Zane:

It's been such a long time since I've posted, but to be honest, for a long time there hasn't been much happening in my life to post about. Anyways, of late, that has changed. Though I think you all know this, just in case someone missed it, I've moved to Paris for the coming year. So here is a little bit on what's happened in the past five days (which shocks me to say, because it already feels like I’ve been here for months, but in a good way). Anyways, getting here was pure hell, lol. Kelly and I both had at least 120 or 130 lbs of luggage each, and while that goes against the "take what you can carry" philosophy, we were moving here, so we decided to go the take what the airlines let you route. Anyways, it was all good and well till we had Chris, Kelly’s bf and my dad to help us carry our luggage and put it in check in etc. But when we landed in Charles de Gaulle, thus began the true experience. We had to carry our luggage without any trolley or anyone to help us, all the way on the train and then the metro (2 hours) to a friend's house. Needless to say lots of shenanigans happened. Kelly dropped my suitcase down and escalator. Some French guys helped us throw our suitcases over the RER (train) ticket counter etc. Well, we finally got to my friend Zane's house. This brings me to point A. People are kind. Kind beyond words and kind in a way I had forgotten existed because I had not gone anywhere new in so long. Now, for everyone who is thinking, who the fuck is Zane, you're totally right to think that. The truth is I had no idea who Zane was until the day my flight took off. He is a friend of a girl (model, our age) that my dad knows. She gave me his name and I facebooked him. Anyways, so this TOTAL stranger, met us at the station, took us into his home and was so kind to us that I really can’t get over it. He took us around his neighborhood, bought us our first baguette (sooooo delicious) and then bought all these ingredients and cooked us Risotto which we ate on his terrace with a few of his friends while drinking two bottles of wine. He then drove us ALL the way to Noisy le Roi (a suburb near Versailles, where we are staying with our friend Victor). It was about 45 minutes away. Anyways, it was soo nice of him to do all of this for us, seeing as we had not even met each other before. But we are friends now, so that's great.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I hear you on carrying luggage during an int'l move. I'm glad you guys experienced the same kindnesses from (stronger) strangers! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. ya, without random strong guys to help us, I would have been really fucked. I'm glad it's over, now it just makes for great blog entries and funny dinner stories. lol

    ReplyDelete